Friday, August 1, 2014

Sweating and the Small Stuff

Day 12
Oxbow, OR to New Meadows, ID
Distance: 88 miles
Total ascent: 5,600ft
Energy Gels consumed: 1

Yes, I have finally waved goodbye to the beautiful and sassy Oregon, and have moved seamlessly into the world of Idaho.

After yesterday’s shocker with the heat, I was up at the earliest time yet, eating scrambled egg cooked by Julie, the lovely owner of the B&B, well before 6am and and hoping to get on the road by 6.30am. But inevitably with my general faffing, and despite the earlier start, it was more like 7 before the wheels were actually turning.

Rather than my usual zen like state of awe at the scenery and the freshness of the morning, today’s ride started with a catalogue of minor irritations.

A sweat/heat rash on my legs not from exposure to the sun but the heat permeating my long shorts yesterday leaving a red raw bumpy mess just below the line of the shorts I had on today; a sore patch on my right ankle where my cycling shoe has been rubbing and which I have been covering with band aids for the last few days kept getting exposed again as the plaster simply would not stay in place; stray hairs that had escaped from my pony tail and helmet and were tickling my face; but worst of all swarms of tiny black flies that were coating every inch of exposed skin and sticking to the sun-cream. Yeukkkk!

It was while I was stopped for the third time in as many miles to adjust the band aid, hair, and wipe off the flies that I noticed a huge bird fly over above and perch on a nearby tree. The fact that it was a vulture seemed rather fitting. I could quite easily have given up there for the day and allowed the bird to invite his mates so they could all pick over my rotting carcass, spitting out bits of mangled band aids and tiny flies as they went...  



And so I wasn’t in the best frame of mind as I crossed the state line and into my second state of this trip. Losing an hour on moving from Pacific Time to Mountain Time, I was upset to find it was already 10am by the time I started the big climb for the day, and the sun was starting to get hot. With legs tired from yesterday and a general weariness from the extreme heat the day before, it was a real gritty plod to get to the top of this climb, but I made it. And it turns out that Idaho is pretty damn beautiful too.



Coasting down into the small town of Cambridge, I stopped for a swift grilled ham and cheese and then set out into the real serious heat of the afternoon.

But this time I was prepared.

Not only did Florence make her second appearance but I also donned the matching long-sleeved white number, and only after dousing both in cold water in the restroom and wearing them damp. They dried again within a few miles, but I just kept repeating every opportunity I got and before I knew it, it was after 5pm and the temperature was dropping again.

Eventually rolling into New Meadows at a fairly late hour, I was overjoyed to be greeted by Phyllis, Valerie’s mum, who packed Steed and me and the rest of the team into her SUV and whisked us all up to her cabin in McCall, just around 12 miles away.

Phyllis prepared each of us an oversized Tanqueray & Tonic as I showered off all the griminess and insect life of the day, and then we ate fried chicken, with buttered sweetcorn and other lovelies on her porch and chatted away while the Pine Squirrels and Steller’s Jays made their presence known in the surrounding woods.

What a great way to end a day.


Me x    

No comments:

Post a Comment