Sunday, August 10, 2014

Who's Afraid of Virginia Spoof?

Day 21
Virginia City, MT to Ennis, MT
Distance: 15 miles – Semi-Rest Day
Very small TITS (the joke that just keeps on giving)

The best laid plans of mice and men… and touring cyclists.

Today, I had been looking forward to cycling to stay with Valerie’s Aunt Jeanne (of Eugene) in her family cabin between Virginia City and Yellowstone. Unfortunately, however, Jeanne is unwell and so we agreed last night that was better for me to bypass the cabin and wend my merry way on with the usual route.

GET WELL SOON JEANNE!!

And so I was left with a quandary, given the options available: (1) cycle 90 miles to Yellowstone today on weary legs and try to get last minute accommodation; (2) stay put in Virginia City and cycle 90 miles tomorrow; or (3) cycle 15 miles over the “Pass with No Name” to Ennis, and then 75 miles tomorrow (there being no accommodation between Ennis and Yellowstone).

I went with option 3.

It seemed quite strange lounging around until 9am to eat breakfast at my “traditional Virginia City house” B&B on a cycling day, even a semi-cycling-rest-day, but that wasn’t the only odd thing. When I emerged from my room, the breakfast wasn’t ready, but the table in the breakfast room had been set up in old-formal style with ornate silver cutlery, fragile glass tumblers and delicately painted crockery. The coffee was in elegant glass and silver jugs sitting over candle burners. And the waitress was a lady probably in her early 60s dressed head-to-toe in traditional dress.

Scarpering back to my room until some moral support arrived (and because they told me to go away and come back) I emerged again around 9.30am and found that I was still the only breakfast diner present at the Inn.

Wondering if I was in some freaky kind of horror movie, or ghost story dream, I decided to try my luck and asked if I could eat anyway since I was starving, to which they reluctantly agreed. Breakfast was nice enough, but it came with a history lesson, tour of the house, and some very bizarre chat. It seemed like I was the only normal one… and I couldn’t help but keep wondering what had happened to the other guests, and whether I was next.

I am happy to report that I escaped alive and unscathed (and it is probably mean of me to have suspected anything different) but I was quite relieved to drop by on my way out of town to speak with Karen, the owner of the B&B that I had initially hoped to stay in but which was full last night. We had a lovely chat (we had emailed quite a bit over the past few weeks) and l left feeling back in the real world.

On my way out of town, I passed by the remains of an old gas station, of which I decided to get a snap for today’s blog.



And then it was over the pass and into Ennis in the shake of a lamb’s tail, or the squawk of an Osprey (I saw another nest today) located right next to the sign for the fish hatchery - the cheek of it.



Arriving in Ennis, I heard “Hey cyclist” being called out from across the street, and rode over to speak to a group of six going in the opposite direction to me on the TransAm, including… a Brit! And there was me thinking I was the only one in the village.

A quiet day after that resting the little leggies, doing some admin, booking accommodation etc, and getting myself ready for tomorrow’s ride which, for some reason, I think could be a tough one.

Me x

No comments:

Post a Comment