Monday, August 4, 2014

Laying Low before Lolo

Day 15
Whitebird Summit, ID to Lowell, ID
Distance: 57 miles
Top speed: 45.98 mph

Just a short day today, to give my little leggies a rest after yesterday’s mammoth climb, and before tomorrow’s daunting challenge, of which more below.

From my map, it looked like today was going to be pretty much all downhill. And although there was more down than up, there was still quite a bit of climbing. Coming out of Grangville, ID and through the beautiful Nez Pearce Reservation, surrounded by fields of golden wheat, I cruised along straight rolling road, trying to pick up enough speed on the downhills to get me up the other side without having to reduce myself to the snail’s pace that has become my usual climbing style.  




And then the descent proper began… winding my way down a number of steep, tight, switchbacks towards the small town of Stites, such was the severity of the grade, I could feel myself picking up too much speed for the loose gravel lurking on the concrete. Until I saw a straight piece of road and let it roll. Crouching down into a streamlined position, flying faster and faster, I could feel the wind tearing at me … and then at my shades, which were up and off my face before you could say sh*ttng b*ll*x .

I knew better than to react suddenly at that speed, and so it took a good hundred yards or more to slow to a halt, get my gears right and swing round to get back up the narrow road without having to unclip, and then start the painful process of picking my way back up the hill to retrieve them from the ground before they found themselves under the wheels of a passing vehicle. I came upon Rudy Project road kill broken into three pieces, but luckily was able to snap them back together before continuing my descent at a more moderate pace.

I treated myself an omelet for lunch in a cute little café in Stites, and then plodded on in the afternoon heat until I was only seven miles from my destination, and ready for an ice cold drink. Unable to choose between the Huckleberry lemonade and the regular lemonade, I ordered both, and promptly sucked the whole of both of the glasses up through a straw (very Alberto Frog… the squirrels think it’s going to be vanilla).

My stop for the night really is pretty much in the middle of the wilderness. Although of course it has a café, and a shop, TVs in the room, and you can get wifi if you stand in the middle of the owner’s lawn!

Perfect for an early night in preparation for tomorrow’s 87-mile ride over the Lolo Pass to Lolo Hot Springs, about which I have to admit to being slightly nervous for the first time yet this trip. 66 miles with no services first thing tomorrow, over which distance I will climb 2,500ft.  Then a final super steep climb up to over 5,000ft. Planning and preparation obviously key with lots of extra water and handlebar bag snacks, and a close eye on the heat…

Wish me luck.


Me x  

3 comments:

  1. You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. Lolo is tough and you are tougher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolly good luck, Old Bean! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally caught up on the blog. I'm so impressed - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete