Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy-Ness City

Day 42
Scott City, KS to Ness City, KS
Distance: 56 miles
Touring cyclist count: three (a record, leaving aside Ennis and Mitchell where I met groups)
Friendly dogs on the road count: one (Yo! Brownie)

So the question I posed at the end of yesterday’s blog has been answered in no uncertain terms.

YES, THERE IS A DOG… AND YOU ARE GOING TO MEET HIM ON THE ROAD OUT OF SCOTT CITY.

It's true, there is a DOG
Nick & Brownie... and the Bike

Ha! I had actually heard about Nick and Brownie from Chelsea, but I was honoured to meet them in the flesh. They were originally walking cross country but, on a particularly hot and dry day, Brownie encountered more dry grit and gravel than any self-respecting dog would choose to meet in a lifetime. Nick, keeping a close eye on Brownie’s wellbeing found that one of Brownie’s digits was sore and a pad on his paw was damaged. The solution… get a bike and ride across country, with Brownie in the back!!!

What a great story, and a lovely pair of characters to encounter on a Sunday morning. I won’t say it was my Road to Damascus moment (or some anagram of Damascus that my addled brain will not compute) as that will no doubt come later heading into Damascus, VA! And yet, given last night’s closing words on the blog, it was pretty damn close. Good luck to Nick and Brownie as they make their way to a new life in Denver.

The next on my touring cyclist hit list was Luke, a Brit of all things!!! He has been cycling from New York, joining the TransAm in KY, and is also headed for Denver. His mission…finding a decent pint, like any true Brit would do. He's also a designer by trade, so if you want to see some proper stylish stuff, check out his blog at 

http://pedallingforpints.com

A noble cause!

Third, the artist formally known as Dom, from the home of Prince himself, Minneapolis. Cycled from MN to KY and then joined the trail, he is headed for…wait for it…no, really, wait for it… Denver!  And then Portland. Possibly via a flight to California and then the Pacific Coast. I say “Do it Dom – Fly West Brave Young Cycling Man-  to San Fran and head North from there…" He's at:


With such a simple domain name I suggested Dom might be in IT, but he tells me he's a mathematician. I guess I can't get it right every time when it's a numbers game...

OK, I can’t say much else about the ride. The scenery was Kansas-esque...

Yes, it's Kansas...what did you expect?

... but it is kinda starting to grow on me, in the way that a bug that has bitten you and lain eggs just under your skin grows on you. Kidding, I am actually loving Kansas, finding the people friendly, the food good.

At least at El Dos De Oros where I am again tonight for my hat trick– turns out they are a micro-chain – "Errrr, yep just one more Margarita then, if you insist".

Apparently, they have a further restaurant in Larned, my stop for tomorrow night. Will I make it four in a row, and what will the physical effects be? Please treat that last question as rhetorical.  

As I thought from the start about KS, it is all about the wind.

Me x 

P.S. Loving the Derrick Motel where I am staying tonight - a complete throw back to the 50s - can't get the hairdryer in the bathroom to work mind you ...

Derrick Motel Bathroom Phones...Foxtrot Oscar?

P.P.S. Somewhere Over the Lame Toe storm tonight as I returned from El Dos de Oros.

Pot of Gold, exit stage right

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great rainbow picture. Best I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jerry - it was a weird storm - full sunshine one minutes, full-on storm the next...

      Delete