Thursday, August 14, 2014

Let's Hear It For Dubois

Day 25
Dubois, WY
Zero miles: Rest Day
Packets of Skittles consumed: a whole bag in one sitting
World put to rights: one wide wonderful one

Feeling footloose and fancy free in Dubois, but not sure the little leggies would be up to dancing at this point.

It was a tough week physically since my last proper rest day in Hamilton, MT, and I was looking forward to my massage this morning with Reenie which I had the foresight to book last week… and while she certainly knew what she was doing, wowzerrrs did it hurt!

I trundled up the dirt road to her house in the residential area, flip flopping the mud from the overnight rain off the back of my Havianas as I went, and was greeted by a flurry of barks and yelps… her dog, Odie! Although without wanting to ruin his street cred with the local canine network, he was quite the pussy-cat once I’d scratched him behind the ears told him he was wonderful. And it wasn’t long before I was the one who was yelping as Reenie dug into the outside of my thighs and ironed out some of the stiffness.

Gliding my way back to the main street with a lightness of foot, I stopped at the Coffee Haus for an iced mocha and cinnamon bun. Slightly heavier of stomach, I then made my way to the local Laundromat to continue the usual rest day activities – although today I also hand-washed the pads on the inside of my cycle helmet AND scrubbed the straps with the little nail brush I bought on my last rest day (teacher’s pet).

Pleased as punch with my achievements, I decided to go and top up on the food intake with a buffalo burger and beer at The Cowboy Café, a Dubois institution which probably needs no further explanation.

Taking a seat outside, the guys on the next table took pity on me and asked if I’d like to join them, which I did. Turns out that John and Alonso are both attorneys, who are in Dubois at the Trial Lawyer’s College  - I kid you not, this institution is based here in this tiny Wyoming town, the aim being to get such highly-wound individuals away from their usual environment I suspect, and has the noble purpose of gathering together people who are committed to representing individuals and the wronged, helping them to get justice and protect their rights against government and big business.

But get two attorneys and a one former/current/temp attorney together and no bookmaker is going to lay odds on there being even a second’s silence during that conversation, and we didn’t disappoint. A thoroughly enjoyable chat putting the world to rights quite literally, and some more relaxed topics too, finished off with a large, large helping of pie (I had toffee pecan, they had strawberry) which just about finished me off for the day.

Except I just ate a whole packet of skittles… oops!

Back in my cosy cabin, hiding away from the rain outside...



Back on the road tomorrow.

Me x


2 comments:

  1. Didn't meet John Grisham there then?! Sounds like his sort of place! Emmitsburgh, MD is tiny and has the firefighters college. Maybe they figure less distractions? Though you can buy alcohol in general stores there, which is more than I can say for PA! Glad you are cleaned, scrubbed and ironed out (your legs) ready for the next stage. Lol. SB xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Not knowingly... I wonder if he really does look like the photo on the back of his books?! Designer stubble included. I think alcohol is "packaged" in this town too. I only had one at the Cowboy Cafe but my beady little eyes noted there was none in the gas station across the street when I went to buy my PowerAde. Still, plenty in the Cowboy Cafe!! Have a great break. And thank you sooooo much to you and all the crew for the donation to White Ribbon. SB xx

    ReplyDelete