Saturday, August 23, 2014

Brecken' Mad

Day 34
Breckenridge, CO
Distance: zero (Rest Day)
Vitamins: many colourful ones….

Breckenridge, I’m mad for it!

Had a fantastic "non-cycling" day here in the small ski-town with 129 more restaurants than most of the towns in which I have stopped on my tour. Yep. I think I’m starting to prefer this term to the “rest day” which assumes a level of inactivity which just simply does not happen…

And as if to prove a point, Steed and I both had the full body works today. While I was being pummelled by the expert hands of fantastic masseuse Heather, I was thinking about the clean and rub down I had treated Steed to earlier in the day. Washing and scrubbing every moving and non-moving part, oiling and greasing and generally adoring my partner in this cross-country challenge. But, he’s worth it!!

But there are also times for the amateurs (me) and there are times for people who actually know what they are doing…and today I stopped into Carvers, and met Sean and Dave who helped me kit out Steed and also replenish my dwindling stocks. Oh, and they also kept me happily chatting in the dry, while the rain played out on the streets outside.

Having filled my boots with all the luscious temptations of a proper town bike shop, I was also happy to find that the local sunglass aficionados, Optic Nerve, were selling their cycling shades with photochromatic lenses for $40 instead of the usual $120…. I couldn’t resist.

And then it was the tricky mission of picking a place for dinner from all the fantastic restaurants in 
town.

Heather assured me that “Relish” was the best, and it didn’t disappoint. Look at this… and I gobbled it up!!




Thanks Will, Katie, Eric, Deborah, Joe and Colin for being fantastic company. Colin, thanks for letting me tell my joke about the cricket…!

In any event, in an attempt to invoke TD002, the hangover part of that pledge, I’d like to report that I was tempted by Absinth Bar after Relish closed and I expect a hangover in the morning… well, it is Saturday night… Tony Duff, get your overtime hours booked

Me x


No comments:

Post a Comment