Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Accidental Centenarian

Day 20
Jackson, MT to Virginia City, MT
Distance: 105 miles
TITS*: 9h50mins (Big TITS, but not as big as yesterday despite extra distance)
Energy supplements: one gel, plus several turbo-charged gummy bears – more “caffeine” 

* Time In The Saddle (I count total time including breaks)


I didn’t intend to cycle over 100 miles today. My pre-calculated schedule told me it was 94 miles, but I got it wrong. Don’t ask… I have no idea!

And so while I was swanning around the Studio in Jackson chatting to the lovely owner, Inge, about her new projects, including her learning and practicing of Emotional Freedom Techniques and Energy Tapping (very interesting for me as it turns out), then lounging around on the phone to my gorgeous friend Karen, had I known I had over 100 miles to do, my sorry ass would have been off that sofa and half way up Big Hole Pass (yes it’s a real place – Elev. 7,400ft).

But it wasn’t. Indeed, it wasn't until I was sipping a latte and eating a French Toast sandwich at a great little cafĂ© called Sweetwater in Dillon around lunchtime that the truth revealed itself to me.

From that point on, I was like a greyhound out of the traps. Eastern philosophy is all very well when you have an impenetrable headwind. But when conditions are good, it’s time to kick ass. And so I did.

Setting myself a minimum speed, stopping for five minutes only to buy water, drinks and ice etc in each of the towns of Twin Bridges, Sheridan and Alder, and banning myself from taking any further photos for the day, no matter how picturesque the backdrop, I burned through the miles.

The last of these conditions was pretty hard to resist, however, when I saw a couple of majestic Sand Hill Cranes standing in the long grass to the side of the road.  But I stuck to my plan, consoling myself with the fact that they usually either run or fly away anyway once you have stopped. And I can’t really blame them. When they notice someone pointing something directly at them and taking careful aim, they don’t know whether they’re about to end up on America’s Next Top Model, or stuffed and mounted on the wall of a hunting lodge in Idaho. All they know is that none of their friends have ever met Tyra Banks.

And so, for today’s blog photo, you’re stuck with a picture of some cows instead (“plus de vaches, Rodney”). Snapped this morning before the panic set in. The cows don’t mind having their photo taken since some of them have in fact appeared on America’s Biggest Loser, talking about having a gastric band fitted in one of their four stomachs, and confirming that dessert does indeed go into a different stomach to other food, and that it is not just a myth.



Anyway… arriving at my B&B in the cute historic town of Virginia City after 7pm, I had time only to shower quickly and rush straight out to one of the restaurants to eat before they closed. Finding The Well’s Fargo Steak House still open (indeed packed), I managed to sneak a seat at the bar between a guy called Kevin and a lady called Aldy and ordered my steak (tenderloin). Not only was it absolutely delicious but once Kevin found out I was cycling across America, he insisted on getting my dinner and my Summer Honey beers, and would not hear any argument about it. Thank you Kevin! And sorry cows...

I then staggered back to my room, fit to drop, to type this blog before (hopefully) falling straight to sleeeeeeeeep.

Me x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bean - thanks for adding the vital statistics on your TITS - very interesting to know because I couldn't really work it out. Lol. SB xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny Bean :-) Thanks for all your comments and support. Sending loads and loads of love SB xx

      Delete