Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Day of the Flelfie

Day 11
Baker City, OR to Oxbow, OR
71 miles
Max Temperature: 117.6F

Another early morning to give myself ample time to pack in some more of Ivy’s wonderful food, and to have a chat with Ivy and Ernie, and scratch Rufus behind the ears, before pedalling off with tears in my eyes. Yes, crazy since I’ve only known them for two days, but they really made me feel so welcome that it was hard to leave.

Once I had eventually torn myself away, I plodded my way up the hill and past the Interpretative Centre I visited the day before. It wasn’t long before I found myself in the midst of miles and miles of sweeping plains and valleys, with a backdrop of petrel-grey-blue mountains emerging from the misty morning sun. With hardly any cars or trucks, it really was eye-wateringly beautiful. And when the Powder River started to snake alongside the road too, the sun glinting off its surface, it was difficult to think of what could top it. Then I saw a heron, which flapped its powerful wings and sadly took off as soon as it sensed I had spotted it, but really the whole experience made my heart want to burst with joy!

After the initial climb, I was treated to a long stretch of gentle downhill, rolling into the small town of Richland after around 42 miles. I stopped at a small store and sipped on an iced mocha as I tucked into the goodies that Ivy had lovingly packed for me. By the time I emerged and set out again, it was just before 12 and the sun was high in the sky. Knowing that I had a steep ascent ahead in the rising heat hung over me like a sharp pin poised on the skin of the joyful bubble, but I resolved to smile and grind through it.

A little way after the climb had started, I decided to pull over and allow my Florence of Arabia head-dress to make its first appearance. Cue Flelfie



Dousing it with cold water to maximize the effect and getting ready to set off again, I took a quick glance at the Gamine, which was reporting a temperature of 105F! Still, I stuck with the plan.

It was around half way up that I started to struggle. With no shade, and completely still, dead heat that only seemed to be increasing, I decided to stop again.  There was nothing to lean Steed against, and I felt myself shaking as I tried to steady the bike enough to get out the spare water from the panniers and douse Florence again. I almost didn’t want to look but couldn’t help checking the temperature again.

Seeing it reporting 117.6F made my stomach flip. But I still thought that, with Florence in place, and without my helmet or glasses on, I could make it to the top fairly quickly. Setting off again, I started to will cars and trucks to come along just to provide some wind as they went past. And for the only time so far on the trip, a headwind would have been welcome.

Of course, the top was slightly further away than I thought, but eventually I reached the elusive sign, and felt the air started to move as I went over the top. Although the downhill felt like someone blowing a hair drier in my face on the hot setting, as I descended further a cool breeze swept in and I heard rumbles of thunder in the distance.

Around 10 miles from Oxbow, I heard a weird siren sound coming from my handlebar bag. I ignored it initially deciding it was probably some piece of electronic equipment telling me that it had blown itself out in the crazy heat, but in fact it was an alert from the weather service warning of flash floods in my area.

All considered, I decided to pull into the café in Oxbow, out of danger. Oh, and to have a big enough meal to last me through until tomorrow morning so I could just collapse when I got to my B&B a further three miles down the road. The guys in there looked after me with gallons of waters and lemonade, and then a frosty beer with my spicy Snake Bite Half-Pound burger and fries.



And so I am now safe at my B&B, ready for an even earlier start tomorrow, in a vague attempt to deal with the crazy heat…


Me x  

No comments:

Post a Comment