Monday, August 18, 2014

Hard Core Yawn

Day 29
Rawlins, WY
Distance: zero miles (rest day)
Episodes of NCIS watched: 3 (2 of which seen before)
HOTBED*: almost all day

*Hours on the Bed

Yes, I’ve been doing some proper, full-on loafing today. Let’s call it “Rest Day Boot Camp”.

Other than sloping down to reception around 8am to eat my own body-weight in processed, artificially-coloured breakfast items, laced with a good amount of high fructose corn syrup (plus a token bit of fresh fruit), I have been sitting in my comfortable bed in the hotel room watching trash TV and surfing the net.

Well, that’s almost true…

Steed and I did make a small sojourn into the centre of town at lunchtime to find a decent latte and freshly made sandwich, which we successfully located at Huckleberry’s CafĂ©, and then we stopped to take a few mood shots on the way back…




… and to pick up a few essentials from the local pharmacy (disappointingly small number of aisles to prowl).

I also walked out into the sunset tonight to have dinner at the clubhouse on the Golf course next to my hotel - #nearerthantown #betterthankfc - where I ate some fantastic salmon, rice and steamed veggies (my holy trinity) and spoke with Sammie behind the bar - she comes from Missouri originally and told me that on the back-roads of Missouri I should watch out for snakes. Thanks Sammie, I was looking forward to Missouri up until now.

And, of course, I did the usual rest day laundry and accommodation bookings.

But other than that… I rested.

And I got to pondering how our tastes change according to what is on offer. Many days now my taste buds crave some weak dishwater-style coffee, occasionally pimped with some non-dairy powdered creamer and a sachet of sugar, rather than the high-quality Flat White to which I have become accustomed to ordering in London.

I no longer lust after a decent glass of wine of an evening, but the saliva glands start making their presence known at the thought of a chilled bottle of Coors Light, especially if it comes with a “Frosty Glass”.

Slowly but steadily, I have become Pavlov’s Kat…

Which is really just a convenient segue to allow me to tell another joke while my sis is away (!)

Pavlov walks into a bar just before closing time, he walks up to the bar and the barman rings the bell for last orders. And Pavlov says, “Sh*t, I forgot to feed the dog.”

Back on the road tomorrow.

Me x

5 comments:

  1. Love the way you write!! And of course I will be passing these jokes onto your sis when she returns!! Keep pedalling.....pouring with rain here in Norfolk this morning! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Yes, please do pass on the jokes, and remember that the most important thing is...... ... .... ... ...

      Delete
  2. Your sense of humor is blissfully intact. This is good! I arrived home from Wyoming fattened like a piggie, thanks to folks like this Crazy Brit on a Bike in the Tetons who plied me with three layer, full-tub-of-cream-cheese carrot cake! Despite this scrumptious and weighty setback you choreographed, I remain delighted to have met you. May all nights of your journey be a serious improvement over the dump of a motel I saw--the only one--in that next town after I pedaled past you in my air-conditioned Hyundai. May the force be with you....or at least the wind. Ride safe and please tell me where/when you are passing through my fair state of Colorado. Today, tomorrow, next day, where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cheri! Great to hear from you and hope you did enjoy the carrot cake! Your eyes lit up when you saw is, so what could I do??! Hope the mousie didn't eat too much of it. Will stay in touch!! Hope you're enjoying being back home.

      Delete