Saturday, August 2, 2014

99 Problems and the Jay Ain't One

Day 13
McCall, ID
Distance: Zero
Gin & Tonics: one small one

Yes, that’s right, I treated myself to an improtmptu rest day today in McCall, ID! And what a great day it’s been.

Waking up at 5.30am in the pitch black, I leant forward to pick up my phone from the bedroom floor to switch off the alarm, head-butting the large and full glass of water on my bedside table and creating a lovely waterfall effect from the edge of the table top and onto the carpet. After clearing it up, and mucking around doing other bits of I don’t know what for around half an hour, I came through into the living room at Phyllis’s cabin to find her sitting, still in the pitch black (odd I thought that it wasn’t yet light) sipping coffee and saying “you’re not going to ride in this are you” just as a rumble of thunder rolled in and almost across the living room floor.

Having been blissfully unaware of the weather calamities unfolding outside, I stepped onto the deck to perform a quick “pitch inspection” and pronounced it “not too bad”. But as we sat and drank coffee and debated the options, and it stayed dark, the rain picked up, and the thunder cracked again from a closer location.

Really, the idea of sitting it out today was pushing at an open door, given that I was exhausted from the day before, and so as soon as I had made a few calls to re-arrange the next few night’s accommodation, Phyllis and I both got round to the activity of seriously resting…

After just sitting and watching a Steller’s Jay and her teenage offspring (Tufty Crest) pick up peanuts from the deck and hurry off to hide them...



...and then a hummingbird whirr around the trees (sorry no photo), we headed into the town of McCall to run a few errands (including picking up some essential items prescribed by Valerie with her doctor’s hat on for my various minor ailments), and then having a wonderful early dinner in the Salmon River Brewery, including some delicious SRB special called Grapefruit Gold, which really did taste refreshingly of grapefruits.

Now chilling and ready to get an early night. Back on the road tomorrow (storms permitting…)


Me x

1 comment:

  1. Good move! It is not a race. Nice to get to spend some more time with Valerie's Mum too. Hope today a cool one - in every way. Lol. SB. Xxx

    ReplyDelete