Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Vanity not Fair

Day 37
Pueblo, CO
Distance: zero miles (non-cycling day)
Miles walked: many
Failure of the day: me for not visiting the fair

A short blog tonight since I (a) failed to visit the fair; (b) had a $20 pedicure instead and am now limping from the lady scrubbing at my foot so hard she drew blood (don’t worry Dr King, I have applied a mixture of antibiotic cream and HC cream); (c) have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to ride over 100 miles; and (d) am exhausted.

Another typical “rest” day with laundry etc, but also a full check over for Steed at The Great Divide Bike Shop (thanks Janet), where I bumped into Hugh and Chloe who are also cycling Eastbound, and whom I am now linked up with to meet up on future days. I then had coffee with Chelsea, Jerry and Matthew at a hopping little coffee shop called the Daily Grind, and then met Matthew in town for an early pasta dinner before shamelessly ducking out on going to the state fair, or the rodeo, and disappearing back to my B&B for an early night.

In between, I went into a super cool Skateshop called KM, where I thought I might find a replacement for the thin, and now falling apart, Clifford Chance freebie rucksack I have been using as a combination of a laundry container and the bag that I carry around of an evening with my laptop, purse, phone etc in it. 

They didn’t have any on sale but I got chatting to Fred, who not only owns the store, but is a talented film-maker, with a wicked eye for design. Once he understood what it was I was looking for, he plucked a perfectly suited Nike version of what I wanted out of a box and told me I could have it for nothing… thanks Fred! Again, I am blown away by the kindness of the people I am meeting on this trip, and fascinated by their stories.

And talking of stories, I was intrigued to hear today from my friend Cheri that prairie dogs apparently carry the bubonic plague, and are therefore to be avoided at close quarters like, well…. the plague. My screenplay brain is going into raptures as a result as I think of either additions or sequels to yesterday’s award-winning plot. And yes, I know this makes me just a teeny bit weird, but.. hey, who gives a …

Oh, and I also took a few cool photos earlier.







Right, bed now. Foot suitably slathered in gunky ointment. The price of vanity.


Me x

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the price of vanity. Hope your foot is better now. Should've gone to the fair and called it quits.

    ReplyDelete