Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Baker Day

Day 10
Rest Day
Zero miles
3 glasses of wine

I don’t know how many of you remember Baker Days. When I was a kid, they were days when the teachers had to go into school for training while the pupils had the day off in a slightly unscheduled and ad hoc fashion that somehow seemed to lead to us all being able to run amock… and so it seems a rather appropriate moniker for my rest day today in Baker City.

But I exaggerate... I started early as usual (not wanting to get out of the habit) with a huge but healthy breakfast cooked up by Ivy, including fresh melon with berries, yoghurt and granola, French toast stuffed with ham and cheese, with maple syrup, and a side of scrambled eggs, plus a raspberry turnover and a scone. OK, so I didn’t eat it all (quite) but I gave it a damn good try. As did Rufus, the Schnoodle (Schnauzer/Poodle cross) of the house who sat looking cute as a teddy bear next to my feet waiting for errant scraps of ham etc to be dropped in his general direction.   

After I sorted out a bit of admin and calls etc, Ivy gave me a lift to the Interpretative Centre, which is a museum around five miles out of town and tells the story of the people who traveled West with their wagons along the Oregon Trail in search of a new and better life, and the Native Americans who already inhabited the lands traveled. I have to say that, in a previous life, I might not have been as curious as I was today to visit, but it was so well done, honest and down to earth, and I came away thinking that nothing really changes that much in life when it comes to the human condition, emotions, challenges and the like – often they are the same fundamental stories just played out against a different backdrop.  

With these thoughts whirring through my head, I continued my day with the thoroughly modern pursuit of having a massage to try to loosen some of the muscles in my legs and back in preparation for the next few days of riding. Followed by a trip to the bike shop to pump up the tyres and buy a few essentials (thanks to Jared at Flagstaff Sports), and a long chat with Ivy as we ran some of my laundry through her machine. All in all, it was a great day.

Tonight, I eventually made it to Earth & Vine, where I sampled glass of Zhoo Zhoo Blonde Chardonnay from… Idaho.




Strictly to wash down my flatbread pizza you’ll understand. And an Oregon Pinot Gris to aid digestion of the Greek side salad. The third glass of “I don’t know what” (my name) was perhaps a step too far and so I took the unusual step of making a “Coronation Street Exit” (where they leave their drinks half drunk- who in a pub ever does that?). But it was a pleasant night speaking with the girl behind the bar, Leah, and her friends.

I walked back to the B&B marvelling at probably the most gorgeous sunset I have seen so far on this trip, which seemed a fitting end to the day.



To sum it up, though, this day was about meeting Ivy and Ernie, two of the kindest and most interesting people you could hope to meet, who have made me feel like family for the short time I have been here. They couldn’t have done more for me, and so I will set off on my travels refreshed and nurtured through their loving care.

Back in the saddle tomorrow…


Me x

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day was had....and always a special thing to come across such lovely people as we go through life. Good luck with the next bit! Sue x

    ReplyDelete