Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Triple By-Pass

Day 9
Prairie City, OR to Baker City, OR
Distance: 69 miles
Total ascent: 4170 ft
Max speed: 43.17 mph
Services open on route: Zero

No, don’t worry, I haven’t had a coronary. Well, not yet anyway.

But I did climb over three passes today: the Dixie Pass (5,277ft), the Tipton Pass (5,124ft) and the Sumpter Pass (5,082ft). So, despite this not being the longest ride completed to date, my legs tonight tell me that it was the hardest.

And to add to the challenge, having left at the crack again, and before anywhere in Prairie City was open, I had fashioned my own breakfast from some oatmeal and a cinnamon pastry, looking forward to taking a break between passes 1 and 2 at a little café at Austin Junction. Once more, I was salivating over the idea of a plate of eggs, bacon and various accoutrements, only to roll up to a large CLOSED sign.

With a sense of déjà vu, I slumped down onto a bench outside the café to eat another cinnamon pastry (they came in a multi-pack at the supermarket) while I pondered the implications (did I have enough water even with the extra bottle I had strapped to Pan-A), when the lady from the café/store (Kristy, I later discovered) came out to ask if I needed to buy something.  Well, I could have kissed her at this point and, although all I managed to get was some more water a coffee and… a cinnamon roll (the only food available since they were actually closed) I was extremely grateful.  

This, plus the various bits and pieces of half-eaten detritus lurking in my handlebar bag kept me going nicely for the rest of the ride, which was glorious and, although pretty hot, not as bad as the last couple of days. So, with 10 miles to go, I was feeling pretty chipper about life. A strong headwind with side-wind gusts for the whole of the last 10 miles soon put paid to that and, by the time I rolled up to the B&B, I was well and truly ready to drop.

Luckily, Ivy, the lovely owner of the B&B, was extremely welcoming and the place is superbly comfortable and thoughtfully done. After showering up I wondered down to Main Street to Corner Brick, a bar/restaurant Ivy had recommended, and ate the largest plate of Fettucine Alfredo I’ve ever seen. Feeling a bit like I was on an episode of Woman vs Food, I stopped half way through the largest Caesar Salad I have ever seen (and should not have ordered) but had them box it up for me anyway for good order - the prospect of being without food for some short period of time today clearly having triggered some kind of feral, hoarding instinct.

Swinging my stomach back towards the B&B, I checked out a few other establishments on the way, although the thought of eating anything else at that point made me feel distinctly green. I had intended to head out tonight to get a glass of wine at a place called Earth & Vine, which is only a couple of blocks away and looks excellent (another Ivy tip), but I fell asleep instead!

So, all that is left to be said is that I eventually managed today to take some photos of the lovely thistles I have been seeing by the roadside. With the added bonus of Mr Butterfly making an appearance – I haven’t looked up what sort of butterfly he was, but I’m sure one of you wonderful followers will know. And by the way, thanks to Valerie for identifying yesterday's birdies as a nest of Osprey!



A rest day tomorrow, I almost can’t believe it. I’m loving every minute of this, but I have to say a rest is badly needed! More then…


Me x

3 comments:

  1. Been loving reading the blog each day - even so keen today I had read it before my first cup of tea! Enjoy your rest! Lol. SB xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy REST DAY! I woke up this morning and thought of you and your day off. I've been glued to the blog... I'm feeling every hunger pang (those closed signs are evil), and love reading about your amazing adventure. Keep going you star! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photo!....I don't know what sort it is tho I am afraid! Sue x

    ReplyDelete