Friday, July 25, 2014

Cooler than Coolio

Day 5: Eugene, OR to McKenzie Bridge, OR
Distance: 61.5 miles
Weather: officially awesome

Today was pretty close to perfect as cycling days go. 

I woke up bright and early at Jeanne’s and plotted today’s route while Jeanne cooked sausage patties, eggs, and English muffins for breakfast, with lovely strong coffee. By the time I and my full tummy left Jeanne and Chloe, the rush hour traffic had disappeared and I had a clean run up the West side of Eugene and out towards the McKenzie River.

The sun was out, the winds were light, and the roads were smooth. The route hugged the banks of the winding river for most of the day, as the water turned from an expanse of flat dark blue to a bubbling, churning mass of light blue and white crests, sparkles of sunlight bouncing off the rapids, with beautiful wild vines of cerise and baby pink sweet peas dotted along the edges.



Steed and I ate up the miles in the morning, stopping for grilled cheese and ham for lunch at a fabulous little cafĂ© in a place called Vida (recommended by Jeanne). It was only mid-afternoon by the time I rolled into McKenzie Bridge and the cute studio that Alyssa and Gary at Horse Creek Lodge kindly agreed to let to me (it’s just behind their office so they keep it available for overflow when they are full).

After a quick shower and freshen up, I strolled up into the village to buy some goodies from the general store to cook a microwave dinner – brown rice and quinoa, with sardines, spicy tomato sauce with chillies, and organic romaine lettuce – delicious and nutritious but not quite up to the standard to which I have become accustomed (Antonio Celleri you have spoiled me!!) Although I should also admit to a packet of luminous orange Cheetos and a can of Fosters while I was cooking... 

I was also tickled to find Celebrity Wife Swap on TV involving Coolio (of 1990s music fame) who was very badly behaved (!) but it was great car-crash viewing.

Tomorrow I have mountain to climb to start the day, quite literally. We leave at daybreak!!


Me x  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds beautiful! P has some of those sweet peas in the back jungle - I mean garden!! Hope your mountain climbing goes well. Lol SB xxx

    ReplyDelete