Saturday, July 26, 2014

Here Comes the Science Bit

Day 6
McKenzie Bridge, OR to Prineville, OR
Distance: 81 miles
Total ascent: 5,080 ft

Writing these blogs in the evening is sometimes tough. Not because I don’t enjoy doing it or because I don’t have 1001 things I want to share, but because I seem to spend most of my time when I’m not cycling either desperate to eat or sleep. Mostly sleep. In fact there are many times when I am cycling that I could happily curl up by the side of the road for a quick nap.

Today, the alarm went off at 5.30am so I could ship on out and up the McKenzie Pass before it got too hot or too busy. All went to plan and wheels were rolling just before 7am. Given the length and height of the climb, and my lack of fitness, I decided to take it steady. And as climbs to 5,325 ft go, I could imagine much less pleasant ways to do it. Yet again, roads were baby’s bottom smooth, I was nicely shielded from the sun by the majestic pines, and there were a whole host of birdies and chipmunks fluttering and scuttling around the woods. It was straight out of a scene from Snow White.

But it still hurt.

The scenes at the top were bizarre to say the least. Huge chunks of solidified black lava surround the pass and stretch for as far as the eye can see, while dying silver trees poke out as if in some kind of sci-fi landscape. And all of a sudden, a lone cyclist is fully and completely exposed to the sun.



Having started in temperatures of just below 50 this morning, my afternoon saw heat hazes burning up from the concrete and a hi-score of somewhere in the low 90s. With around 20 miles to go, I was fit to drop and sizzling like a Turkey at Xmas. Pulling into a Subway on the edge of the next town, I sat and sipped a 2pt cup of iced tea, and took full advantage of the air conditioning.

Then, instead of slathering on further 50+ sun-cream, I decided to try out my new scientifically designed white sun protection top. Despite being long-sleeved and apparently slightly thicker than my cycling vest top, getting back out in the sun again I felt infinitely more comfortable, and the smell of burning skin also seemed to reduce. Tomorrow, I might even have to dust off the neck and head protection in Florence of Arabia style… watch this space. 

This evening, after a long cold shower, I decided to put on the glad rags and celebrate a Saturday night in Prineville with a meal out at a nearby restaurant. Well, I put on the sparkly flip flops with one of my lightweight roll-down small dresses rather than my regular flip flops.  Club Pioneer claims to be a Prineville Tradition, and it was pretty good. More fish and vegetables, although tonight I treated myself to a baked potato instead of rice… living dangerously.

I swung by Rite-Aid on the way back to buy some 100+ sun block…  

A shorter day tomorrow. Phew.

Me x




No comments:

Post a Comment