Sunday, July 27, 2014

I've Started So I'll Finish

Day 7
Prineville, OR to Mitchell, OR
Distance: 47 miles
Top speed: 42.48 mph

Just a short blog tonight. I woke up with a headache and still have one, so I’m going to get an early night and sleep it off.

It’s not all bad though. The predicted scorcher of a day was nowhere near as bad as expected, and so my Florence of Arabia neck protector remained in my handlebar bag. Don’t worry though, I’m sure she will be needed soon and the promised “Flelfie” will be forthcoming (Valerie). The Mirror Man (my rear view helmet mirror) was also grateful, since the glue on the connections melted yesterday and had to be reset overnight!

The scenery today was, yet again, beautiful. I am now in an area called the “Painted Hills”. Tall, jagged rocks made up of layers of different hues of earth and minerals, set against hills of contrasting colours. A mix of desert and scrub on one side of the road, with sunken streams and creeks full of thistles and bulrushes on the other – even the odd Heron, and a smattering of tiny blackbirds.



This area also has more passes than an opening round of Mastermind. I cycled over another one today, the Ochoco Pass, at a mere 4,720 ft. The ascent was slow and gradual, so much so that an optical illusion persisted for most of the ride where it looked like I was going downhill, but in fact was climbing consistently – after checking and rechecking for a puncture in my back tyre or a rubbing brake pad to explain the amount of effort required, I switched the Gamine to elevation mode and all became clear. Freaky though, and eerily Escher-esque.

The downhill was glorious. A wide, quiet road, with gentle curves meant that I hardly touched the brakes for around 10 miles, and I also therefore clocked my fastest top speed so far on the trip (and it would have been faster had I not been fighting a headwind today).

Arriving into Mitchell early afternoon, I stopped at the town’s cafĂ© for a BLT and a lemonade before checking into my hotel.  An early start again tomorrow. Looking forward to my first proper rest day on Wednesday!!!

Thanks again for all the emails, messages and comments etc, and sorry I haven’t answered them all yet. Roll on Wednesday…


Me x

2 comments:

  1. I am sure people realise you are a bit busy and won't worry if you don't reply for a little while. You will need a proper rest by Weds. Lol SB xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Escher's paintings.....but can see why cycling thro such a landscape could be confusing!! Keep going....I am full of admiration. Sue x

    ReplyDelete