Thursday, July 24, 2014

Eugenius

Day 4: Corvallis, OR to Eugene, OR
Distance: 46 miles
Punctures: None (YAY)

A very short blog since I’m dog tired again after a great day’s riding and an even better afternoon and evening with Valerie’s Aunt Jeanne and her friend Marion.

Having offloaded 7lbs of surplus crap from my panniers this morning at the Corvallis Post Office and dropped in on the local bike shop to pump up my tyres and buy some more inner tubes, I set off into another misty, drizzly, morning with a headwind (despite promises to the contrary from The Weather Channel). But within an hour of cycling, the sun was out and the wind direction had changed and it was as if the Gods were smiling on me again. Or so I thought.

It was just as I stopped for a quick bite and coffee at a small and friendly cafe in a place called Harrisburg that the Gamine decided simply to turn herself off with no warning. However, when I switched her back on, she started chirruping away for the rest of the ride and was more vocal and helpful than at any time yet on this trip. I am starting to wonder if she might be BiPolar (but no, she's by Garmin...haha). Anyway...

So, with a bit of help from the iPhone, the Gamine and I made it to Jeanne’s beautiful home in North West Eugene. We sat and chatted over coffee whilst I gave her elderly but very photogenic French Bulldog, Chloe, a scratch behind the ears. 



Then it was a girls’ night out as Jeanne, Marion and I hit the town, eating dinner and drinking Margaritas at a great neighbourhood restaurant called Cornucopia – all good, except I think I may have regained the 7lbs of jettisoned weight by the amount of food consumed tonight (oops).

Heading out of the city again tomorrow - no rest for the wicked, or those who stop half way through a ride on a rainy day…

Me x



2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how delighted I am that you got to meet Jeanne and Chloe. Marian was a total bonus round too! Jeanne is my best example of aging well--a true inspiration and great company. Fair winds tomorrow my friend.

    ReplyDelete