Saturday, September 6, 2014

Showing Them Pearly Whites

Day 48
Chanute, KS
Distance: zero miles (non-cycling day)
Hangover: manageable due to a long lie in - topped up by sundown
Episodes of Law & Order SVU: 5 (marathon)

A quiet day in Chanute, spending most of the morning and early afternoon getting over the excesses of last night. Then most of the evening doing exactly the same as the night before…doh! Sounds just like a typical weekend in around 60% of British households I expect.

Persuading myself to get up and out of my room was a little challenging, but I did make it for a quick schlep around town and to the convenience store for some laundry soap and some water/Gatorade etc, and managed to take a few arty snaps of the town.



When evening rolled around, I decided not to muck about, but just to head directly to the bar where I’d been the night before, which also had the benefit of being directly opposite my hotel. I had tabled a quick dinner and a “hair of the dog” in my mind but the best laid plans...

Taking my seat at the bar, I felt like a “temporary local” as Jen and Jeremy reached for the Chardonnay bottle instinctively, and I nodded in approval. I ordered a Cajun chicken salad with a side of mac and cheese, both of which were excellent, and was ready to call it a night after my second glass of wine… until I heard that it was Karaoke night.

With the fun literally minutes away at that point it really seemed like it would be a foolish idea to leave. And so I ordered another glass of wine, and settled down for the first couple of renditions, perhaps predictably, The House of the Rising Sun and Mack the Knife!

Strangely, it only took another few sips of the third glass of wine to persuade me that it was a good idea to have a look through the song folder myself and add my name to the list.  Then just as I was about to sing, some of the guys from last night arrived, and chaos ensued… The best thing I can say about it is that at least I avoided the shots this time.

A fun weekend – thanks to my friends in Chanute!


Me x

1 comment: