Monday, September 8, 2014

One Woman Went to MO

Day 50
Pittsburg, KS to Everton, MO
Distance: 63 miles
Dinner: cooked by me

Yes, today I left Kansas and crossed into Missouri.

Bidding a fond farewell to Sherri at the fantastic Himmel House B&B in Pittsburg, with a stomach full of Breakfast Banana Split and some delicious French Toast, I pedalled off into another beautiful day. This time with a gentle tail wind too …woo hooo!

It was only five miles into the ride that I crossed the state line.

Yo MO!
I don’t know a lot about the state, except that it’s supposedly going to be hillier than Kansas (I will cycle through the Ozark mountains), and that it is probably best to avoid Ferguson, MO at present… And so the joy will be in learning as I go.

Today I learned that it’s pretty good for pies. Lunch was spent at a little cafĂ© in Golden City called Cooky’s, which had the most impressive array of crusty pastry I have seen so far on this trip.

I'll be your Cherry Pie...

The terrain stayed pretty flat for the first half of the ride.

MO: more "Kansas" than KS
But I didn’t have to wait long for all of that to change.

Jump on board...
And as a double whammy, I was actually carrying the ingredients for tonight’s dinner in my panniers for the last 30 miles of the day, as I plodded up these little babies. I guess that’s what a lot of tourers do day in day out, as well as carrying tents and sleeping bags etc, so I shouldn’t complain, but I am “the princess” after all…

Tonight I am staying at a farm in the middle of nowhere, where there is a hostel kind of arrangement. It’s nicely set up with a well-equipped kitchen, clean shower room, wifi, sattelite TV, and I have the place to myself. Which I must admit is both nice and a little creepy at the same time. But, most importantly, it’s better than having to cycle 120 miles in one day.

Happy also to report that the Bark Genie is now full of batteries ready to take on the dogs of MO too. Curious to see it in action, and yet would be very happy if was never needed.

Me x 

2 comments:

  1. Those look like some wonderful hills waiting for tires of a princess to tread through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Jerry! You have some hills now too I expect :-)

      Delete