Friday, September 5, 2014

P*ssed as Chanute

Day 47
Eureka, KS to Chanute, KS
Distance: 61 miles
Armadillo Road Kill Count: 5
Beers and shots: few too many (Friday night)…

The day started well. With The Weather Channel promising WSW wind switching to NNW later in the morning, which looked like a very good fit to give me a tailwind for most of my ride…

…would it really happen though, I wondered, as I packed up my stuff and swung across the road to the Bowling Alley, now a restaurant serving excellent breakfast! It seemed like a long while since I’ve done my eggs-over-easy routine, or had a proper tailwind. Could it shape up to be one of those perfect days?

After a stretch on the highway with the predicted tailwind, I was flying, but also dripping with sweat with the combination of the heat and no wind to cool me down… not that I was complaining. But turning the corner to head South through the back-roads, I realized that the wind had failed to get the memo as to its designated change, with the trade off that I at least had a blessed bit of cooling breeze for a couple of hours.

I rode through the tiny town of Coyville that all the locals seemed to want to mention to me. A group of older guys eating breakfast in the Bowling Alley had joked that I should try not to get lost going through it (it’s about the same size as Towner, CO…) and another guy at the gas station where I changed direction told me that Jesse James grew up there. When I got there, it was pretty much deserted, as were a couple of the other tiny towns I passed through that day.

Picking up a tailwind again to finish my day, I made good time into Chanute but not before I’d snapped a few photos of the beautiful thistles by the roadside.



Walking out from my hotel, I decided to do a complete out and back down Main Street to check out the eateries. It’s a pretty cool town architecturally, and also has the railroad running through it – I always like that feature. But I could feel and hear a storm brewing, which forced my hand on the dinner choice.

When the rain started, it came down heavy straight off, and so I ducked into the Chinese Restaurant, where I decided to flirt with either food poisoning or obesity by opting for the all you can eat $7.99 buffet. It actually tasted pretty good, with the only downside being the lack of alcohol in the restaurant… on a Friday night? Really?

...if you survive the buffet
And so the temptation of the bar just across the street from my hotel was too much for me to pass up, and I found my feet making an unauthorised turn from the sidewalk and in through the doors, and leading me straight to the bar itself and a large glass of chardonnay.

Well, of course I soon got chatting to some of the guys at the bar, and a couple of the bar tenders too. And once a couple of “fireball” shots had been consumed the night was only headed in one direction!

Don't ask...
I have no idea.

A couple of games of pool later in another bar, and some more shots, plus a fun time selecting music on the juke box – thanks to the guys for a great night – Nick, Cyle, Pete, Tim, Jeremy, Jen, Mr Needham and others! You made Chanute live up to its promise… Ha!

Living the Adventure...

Yes, Duff Tony, you can safely chalk up another hangover for your donation tally!

Me x 

No comments:

Post a Comment