Friday, October 3, 2014

Love and a Battlefield

Day 75
Ashland, VA to Williamsburg, VA
Distance: 80 miles
Bowls of cereal: three
Theories on love, life and the universe: many

My start for the day was hardly what you would call alpine. I know that from the fact that Kelly & Michael was already on the TV in the background as I went about my morning stretches, which means that it was after 10am.

The reasons behind my sluggishness were multiple. The 99 miles from the day before, added to the weeks of growing weariness, plus the biggie. The little voice in the back of my brain reminding me that this was my last proper day of cycling. That after today, the trip would be virtually over. And my sub-conscious obviously wasn’t sure it was ready.

It’s a universal concept, the principle that all good things (and bad) will come to an end. Living things, people, events, they all age and eventually they cease to be, at least in the form that we know them. And then we are forced to deal with the loss of them, to manage change.

They say that the pain of losing something, or even the fear of doing so, is much more powerful than the desire to have or do something that we haven’t yet experienced. And so even if you feel that you are ready to move on, knowing that the time has come, there is still a part of you that is sad, and grieving the loss before it has even occurred.

I guess I would say that it how I felt today.

Once I was on the road, I was in no hurry to speed through the miles. The terrain was almost flat, the road surface variable, spanning the gamut from LL Cool J to TOWIE coarse. Mr Edwin, the headwind, made a final appearance, but he was gentle with me, simply kissing my face, rather than slapping it (as my friend Jerry would put it). The scenery was more of the same, the colours still gorgeous, and the tree-lined roads still as charming as can be.

Despite (or perhaps because of) my laid back approach, I found I was burning through the miles, and catching up on my late start. Having already stopped at a Walgreens to use the rest room and do a super-quick prowl of the aisles, I then stopped at a gas station to grab some lunch. I had packed a bagel with peanut butter and jam from breakfast as a back up, but when I walked inside the strangest thing happened. I saw a stand with those little cereal pots displayed on it, and I had a strong craving to eat several of them, one after the other.

Buying a small bottle of milk, I proceeded to chomp my way through a Frosties (grrrrrrrrrreat), some Honey Nut Loops and a Raisin Bran (a token thumbs up to health). Something about the familiarity gave me comfort, and it was like I was on my sofa at home, wrapped in my favourite blanket, watching trash TV.

Again, I didn’t really want to leave, but eventually I peeled myself away from Kafe Kelloggs, and rolled over to the nearby junction with the big highway. Where I sat waiting for the lights to change. And waited. And waited.

I soon realised that the lights were triggered by a weight sensor in the road (a lot of the lights are), so if there is no car in the sensor box, there will be no green light. The sequence will continue as if you do not exist. Despite rolling the whole of me and Steed, Pan-y-A and Pan-B onto the sensor box, and actually doing a little “traffic light stomp” kind of dance routine (much to the amusement of passing motorists I am sure), I was stuck.

I saw a car rolling up in my mirror and sighed with relief, until I saw its indicator flashing and the side of it as it disappeared into the gas station. I apologise for the words that came out of my mouth at that point.

I thought about trying to cross the highway without a green light, but there were no pedestrian crossings, and the roads were all busy… apart from mine.  I even toyed with the idea of turning right onto the highway and then right again from there, in order to go straight, but I couldn’t believe that some vehicle, any vehicle would not arrive on “my” road.

And then a car appeared in my mirror, and as I willed it forward, and beckoned it in, I was, probably for the first time in my trip (one day from the end) overjoyed to see a car on the road behind me. Bingo! Green light, and Steed and I were on our way again.

Continuing on, I found myself in the midst of the battlefields of Virginia, with a host of signs providing me with historic markers and much information about the individual battles and how they fit into the overall timeline.



As I rode along, I started analysing the term Civil War as well. Because it didn’t sound like there was anything “civil” about it. And it is quite telling that fights within what is supposed to be a cohesive unit are sometimes the worst. Like the term “domestic abuse” which makes it sound like it’s domesticated, like a cat or a dog that is house-trained (I think I heard someone on TV make this observation recently too which is probably why it stuck in my mind). And it is anything but that. But with everything, as I had been thinking about the trip, eventually it stopped. Wars, abuse, they all come to an end in some way and at some time. I am one of the lucky ones...

Anyhow, from there, it was just a short hop to ponder on love and relationships. And thinking again about how hard I have found it completing this journey on my own without the continuity of at least one other person as company. No touring cyclist is an island…But with the wrong person, how much of the magic of this trip would I have missed?

And as I contemplated further, I found myself on a nice paved bike path by the side of the road for several miles. More time for thought as less for concentrating on traffic and road positioning. Then, just as the path ran out, I bumped into Dave, a retired physician from upstate New York, who was cycling the Atlantic Coast route from Bar Harbor, Maine to Key West, Florida.



It was a fortuitous meeting, not just because it was nice to have some company but also because he told me there was a new bike path all the rest of the way to Williamsburg, which was due to open officially next week, but which we could ride on now. We pedalled along it together for a few miles, until we got to a section where they were still rolling the tarmac, where we agreed I should head off since my normal cycling speed was a little faster than Dave’s and I still had quite a bit of ground to cover.

Before I went, I also off-loaded most of the rest of my energy bars and gels onto Dave, since he still has 5 weeks left. I had been intending to put project “Hoover” into operations over the past few days and clear this section of my handlebar bag myself, but for some reason the plan did not really get past the aspirational stage (pun intended). And it was another sign that the trip was coming to an end.

Heading off on the new, smooth bike path, I flew along and was soon only a few miles outside Williamsburg, where I took a wrong turn and ran out of bike path… So it was back onto the highway for Steed and me, during a busy Friday night rush hour, but still, it was fine.

Arriving at my hotel, I realised that this would be the last time on this trip I would check into a hotel. I expected to feel emotional, but instead I went into practical mode. Just wanting to get done what needed to be done and trying to keep my focus for the logistics of the last day and not messing up so I could actually enjoy it and savour the last few miles.

With my prep done, I headed out to a cool bistro for dinner, having a good chat with a guy called Daniel, who was in Williamsburg for the art fair and was selling pottery that he makes himself. He had some wise words for me, and I was glad that I met him.

Last day tomorrow… and I am finishing this trip with more questions than answers. Maybe that's just life... it's the questions that keep us alive, and drive us forward, to greater happiness or enlightenment, or perhaps both. And the more we have, the more we have to share with others.

Which reminds me of a poem that I have copied out into the front of many notebooks I own:

"He who binds himself to a joy
Does the winged life destroy
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in eternity's sun rise"

William Blake

Which takes me back to Love. And this time enduring love, by saying Happy Anniversary to my Mum and Dad, who celebrate their 48th anniversary today… Now that’s what I call a long and happy journey!!

Me x 

No comments:

Post a Comment